Monday, March 21, 2011

7 Moinitoring the GAME Plan Progress

As I continue with my GAME plan, I am currently searching for sites that offer current events that will be appropriate for my 7th graders. I do not want to send them to news articles that are too in depth and wordy for them to comprehend. I have looked at several sites such as

  • Channel One News
  • Scholastic Kids Press
  • PBS News Hour Extra
I am anxious to expose my students to more global real-world events that will foster creative, critical thinking skills.

One way that I want to begin their blog experience is by creating a type of blog post template as well as comment. That way students can follow the format for their first few posts and comment replies. Once they have mastered the idea, they can deviate from the template as long as they still include the necessary information. Even though I will model the behavior, I think beginning them with a template, much like tracing letters when one first learns to write, will solidify the format that they should follow in this activity.

I hope to start the students with this new project by the end of the week. If possible, I will evaluate their responses and continue to monitor and adjust as needed.

7 comments:

Lynet said...

Kim,
A website that I often use as a reference point for current events that gives articles that my 7th graders are often very interested in is www.news.discovery.com. It provides articles for different content areas, so you have an opportunity to mix things up. I also enjoy that the articles have an area in the begining tha that provides the gist of the article. This allows for a quick review of the information to determine if it is something you are looking for.

Anonymous said...

I think starting out with students using a template for their blog is a great idea. This will give them a starting point and head them in the right direction. Once they are used to it, then like you said, they can deviate from that and make it their own. Keeping students up-to-date on current world events is important for students. It is also a great way to compare today's events to similar events that they might be studying in history.

SusanKraussBlog said...

Hi Kim,
You've found some nice resources for your students--you may also like Timeforkids.com
as another one.

I like the idea of a template as starting point for blogging. As Betsy shares, they can always move beyond the template later on, but at least initially they will have this helpful scaffold.

Thanks for sharing.

Susan

Ms. Shafer's Big Backyard said...

Kim,

Even though my audience is younger (4th grade), I use USA Today every morning with my students. We visit the articles under the news tab. The articles are reasonably paced. They are great topics for generating discussions.

Channy said...

What about other edcational software that can assist students with the critical thinking? Online resources are very good for students with a 24/7 internet connection, but what happens to student who do not have an internet connection. In the third world situation, this has been a big barrier for the progress of technology and the students.

Kim said...

Thanks for the links and ideas. I am excited about this project and have already seen some students jump on board with the blogging!

Danielle said...

Kim,

I love, love, love the blog template. I am definitely plan to create a template for my students as well. Your idea would probably have come to me after my students began blogging. When I first begin using a new technology with my students, I always leave something out. Implementing technology is often a lesson for my students and me.

Post a Comment