Tuesday, April 12, 2011

8 Using the GAME Plan Process with Students

The NETS for Students are parallel to those of the teachers. Students are to focus in on creativity, communication/collaboration, critical thinking, citizenship, research, and technology operations. I hope that once they leave my classroom they have had an opportunity to grow in all of these areas.

As I look over the past few weeks and the GAME plan I established, I realize that the students were following a plan although they were most likely not aware. I gave them a goal, they choose what actions to take, they monitored, and the evaluated. Some realized that their first actions were not great, they monitored their grade, evaluated that they didn't like it, and changed their actions. Some saw that they were on the right track and found their plan successful.

Just as this class did for me, I believe that bringing this process to their attention will help them see how easy it can be to work towards their goal. Once the students realize that they are doing it already, they will find it is not hard to continue to implement throughout their education.

8 comments:

Kathy Wallace said...

Your last sentence is so true. If they do finally realize that what they are doing is what you expect them to do already, they can carry that through life with them. I wish I would have a few more students look at their grades like your students have and realize they have to change things to change the grade. Good luck with this and hope it continues for you in the future.

Unknown said...

I agree with you, the process of having a particular goal in mind has a strong impact on what the outcome will be. I feel sometimes, in the process of teaching, I have a tendency to lose focus on what my specific goal is for the quarter or unit. I think involving the students in the process makes a huge difference for everyone. It is no longer my goal, it is OUR goal.

Carrie said...

So true! I think we always tell students to have goals, but we don't always help them devise a plan in how to reach them. The GAME does that, I think it is a model that can be applied to many areas of life!

aspirer said...

The key to getting something to become a habit with our students is repetition. The more our students set up their work with the GAME plan pattern, the more likely they are to incorporate it into their regular pre-project planning.

Azizeh Family said...

I think that showing the students the simple instructions for the GAME plan they will see that they can apply it in all curriculum areas. I know that once I find a way to use something in multiple areas of my life I am much more apt to use it over and over. I also like how your students were able to reflect on their grade and know that their actions needed to be changed! What a great higher order thinking skill!

Ms. Shafer's Big Backyard said...

I like how you pointed out that with our GAME plan, the students are part of the process. Pointing out to them our goals and their part will teach and model for them how they can and should have a GAME plan.

Mr. Brewer said...

I was up front with my kids with the GAME plan. They loved the idea and where all for it. They would come in asking what is next on our game plan. It was really fun to do this with my kids. Majority of the students liked the idea of them included in a GAME plan. If a teacher never says anything to them about it, I am sure they would really have no clue they were actually following a plan. Why miss out on some fun with it. Tell them. They went to their other friends in other classrooms talking about they are participating in a GAME plan.

SusanKraussBlog said...

Hi Kim,
Goal setting can make such a difference for students--identifying and operationalizing what students want to learn can help them develop strategies that lead to self-directedness and conceptual attainment. Being part of the process of planning goal setting and then evaluating goals moves students into the active role they will need in a 21st century workplace.

Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment