Tuesday, June 21, 2011

0 Reaching and Engaging Learners -- Class Reflection

As I reflect back on the past eight weeks, I remember apprehension. The concepts of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and Differentiated Instruction (DI) seemed so overwhelming and exhausting that I was dreading the class. However, as the course progressed, I was comforted that UDL and DI were not as dreadful as I expected and was surprised to know that I was incorporating these concepts to some degree already.

One of the things I remember most is Dr. Tomlinson (2009) stating repeatedly that the main goal is to be flexible and to remember that the process takes time. Knowing that I had the rest of my career to become an expert was very reassuring. Although I want to include quickly aspects of UDL and DI, I can start small and work my way up.

I also learned there are several immediate adjustments I can make to my instructional practice. The use of surveys for learning styles and profiles is an excellent way to determine the teaching styles I should incorporate in my classroom. These questionnaires will show me what strategies to use to reach all of my students in the avenues that best help them learn. I can also assess my students using alternate methods such as concept maps, wikis, blogs, or voicethreads.

Ultimately, this class reminded me that education is about the child. I can use the newest gadget known to man, but the lesson is not presented in a format that my child can understand, my lesson is useless. As an educator, I must be flexible enough in my delivering and my assessment to do whatever is necessary to reach my students.




Resource:
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore: Author.

0 comments:

Post a Comment